Monday, April 7, 2008

Living With An Attitude of Gratitude

"No matter what happens, always be thankful for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus"  Thessalonians 5:18

It was another beautiful Monday morning. God was already showering His love on me by the melodic chirping of the birds and the gentle warmth of the sun that was shinning through the widow in my home office. The boys were able to sleep in this particular day because it was their two week school break. My bride and daughter were out of town visiting her family.

You see, it is always a challenge when my bride, "The GM of the home" is gone. My two boys and I have to gear up for the mission of "how do we make it with mom gone!":) To add insult to injury, I was still recovering from my second shoulder surgery only a few weeks earlier. Having only one arm that was working properly, while at the same time dealing with my bride being gone, would have a set of its own unique challenges that I had underestimated.

What was it like for me you ask, after having 2 shoulder surgeries?

At that time, I remember the pain, drained energy from my entire body. I was not taking my pain killers because I don’t like being controlled by any foreign substance. It was frustrating not being able to sleep very well at night because of the pain. So I spent most of my days feeling tired, sore and sluggish.

My everyday routine was interrupted and my goals in Mixed Martial Arts were being jeopardized. I had worked hard to earn my brown belt and had hoped to become a black belt by the end of that year. I couldn’t roll around with my kids and play and I needed help getting dressed.

Fortunately, our wonderful God and Father would use the verse from 1 Thessalonians 5 to teach me to be thankful while learning many life lessons. The verse says that no matter what happens, "Be"... thankful. First we learn to BE.

Through the operation, Father had given me the wisdom to understand my desperate dependence on Him. I was forced to slow down and learn to just BE with Him. When I think of BEing with Jesus I think of resting, trusting and abiding In Him. I was beginning to rest in and enjoy His presence while learning to listen to Him for longer periods of time. What intimate moments of knowing He deeply loved me and cared for me.

I was reminded how much my bride loves me and is willing to serve me. The first 4 nights I had to sleep sitting in the sofa chair downstairs. My bride chose to sleep on the couch so she could serve me throughout the night. Father showed me through her that this is how He loves and serves all of us. He is constantly watching over us, willing and ready to serve.

Father showed me how blessed I was to have friends who have been there to love and care for me through difficult times in my life. He also gave me a greater compassion and understanding for those who are physically challenged in the world. Something that I had not thought about in the way that I did at that time.

Father had given me greater appreciation for those He has called to the medical profession to serve us.  Father had shown His love for me through my kids as they were so compassionate and loving towards me. My daughter would greet me almost every morning before leaving for school with a kiss on the forehead and a warm, "good morning daddy".

My son Branden would come by now and then with a soft rub on my sore shoulder reminding that he loves me and reminding Bobby to be careful not to hurt me. Bobby simply would come by every now and then to say "Hey daddy, how’s your shoulder dude"? Got to love little Bobby. I also became thankful for just how healthy I have been for most all of my life.

So my brothers and sisters, is there anything in your lives that has interrupted your daily routine? Any financial burdens, unwanted surprises, emotional, relational, or professional set backs? Did you know that this verse tells us that it is Father’s will that we are thankful no matter what happens?

How in the world can we be thankful for bad things that mess up our lives? By Being, resting, trusting and abiding in Him first. Remember the verse says in all things give thanks not for all things. We need not necessarily thank Father for cancer, but we can thank Him in that situation.

Father did not cause the cancer. He allowed it. He promises to give us the grace to see our current situation through His eyes and to understand it with His mind. Colossians 3:1-3 says to keep our minds and hearts set on things above not on earth. Then we can see why all things work together for good, for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28.

So what about you and your situation? Do you have an attitude of gratitude? I can testify that the result for me was a thankful heart, an attitude of gratitude and an insight to see earth’s affairs from heaven’s point of view. So take heart my friends, Father is ever present, watching over you with great care and love.

© All Rights Reserved

No comments: